Divine Lemon Cookies with Velvety Lemon Filling: Indulge in the pleasure of these luscious lemon-infused cookies partnered with a tangy lemon buttercream. Key players in this heavenly treat include granulated sugar, lemon zest, cream cheese, unsalted butter, egg yolk, lemon juice, vanilla extract, all-purpose flour, and powdered sugar.
A Zestful Lemon Love Affair:
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
NOTE: By saving this recipe, you agree to join our weekly recipes newsletter.
This Lemon Cookies with Lemon Cream recipe holds a special spot in my heart, originating from a sunny spring day when the craving for something sweet and tangy struck. In my kitchen experimentations, I decided to marry the lively essence of lemons with the comforting allure of buttery cookies, resulting in a delectable treat that has become a crowd-pleaser at every family gathering. Beyond being just a recipe, it serves as a sweet reminder of sunny days and cherished moments with loved ones.
What Makes These Lemon Cookies Irresistible:
• Perfect Harmony: Striking a delightful balance between the opulence of butter and the invigorating kick of lemon.
• Versatile Delight: Ideal for tea parties, picnics, or as a delightful companion to your favorite book.
• Effortlessly Elegant: Simple to make, yet boasting a sophisticated flavor profile that never fails to impress.
• Texture Paradise: Revel in the delightful interplay of a crisp cookie exterior and a velvety, creamy filling.
Lemon Cookies with a Twist:
• Sugar and Lemon Zest: The heart and soul of this recipe, where the zesty aroma of lemon intertwines with sugar to set the perfect tone.
• Cream Cheese and Butter: Adding richness and depth, ensuring a melt-in-your-mouth experience.
• Egg Yolk and Lemon Juice: Bestowing moisture and tang, enhancing the overall lemony flavor.
• Vanilla Extract: A subtle touch of vanilla to complement and elevate the brightness of lemon.
• Flour: The structural foundation ensuring the cookies maintain their form while remaining tender.
Step-by-Step Culinary Symphony: Baking Sunshine in Cookie Form:
Preparation: Commence by preheating your oven and lining your baking sheets with parchment paper.
Dough Creation: Blend sugar and lemon zest, incorporating them with cream cheese, butter, and other ingredients until a fluffy consistency is achieved. Gradually introduce flour to craft a cohesive dough.
Piping Precision: Artfully pipe dough rounds onto your prepared sheets, aiming for uniformity to guarantee even baking and a flawless sandwich fit.
Baking and Ensemble: Bake until a golden hue graces your cookies, then allow them to cool before joining them with the lemon cream.
Storing the Citrus Bliss:
• Short-term Storage: Preserve in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
• Long-term Option: Freeze the unfilled cookies for up to 3 months. Thaw and fill with cream when desired.
• Refrigeration: Filled cookies can be refrigerated for up to a week, though their prime enjoyment is within the first few days.
Variations and Substitutions:
Endless Lemon Cookie Possibilities:
• Citrus Variations: Infuse a twist by swapping lemon with orange or lime zest and juice for a different citrus flair.
• Cream Cheese Alternatives: Experiment with mascarpone for a richer filling if cream cheese isn’t your preference.
• Vegan Adaptation: Craft a vegan-friendly version by using plant-based butter and cream cheese.
• Gluten-Free Option: Replace all-purpose flour with your preferred gluten-free blend for a delightful alternative.
Can You Experiment with Other Flavors?
Absolutely! The Orange Cream Stars would pair wonderfully with a chocolate ganache filling. Alternatively, omit the citrus zest, double the vanilla extract, and indulge in a filling of chocolate ganache or Nutella. For a fruity touch, consider using jam, paired with buttercream to secure the tops in place. If your heart desires a buttery cookie with jam, explore the Viennese Whirls, another piped cookie delight offering fantastic texture and flavor.
If you try this Lemon Cream-Filled Lemon Cookies Recipe, let me know! and don’t forget to SAVE it for later
- Cookie Dough Ingredients:
- 1 cup (206g) Granulated Sugar
- Finely grated zest from 2 lemons (no white pith)
- 3 ounces (86g) Cream Cheese, softened
- 8 ounces (16 tablespoons or 226g) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 large Egg Yolk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 ⅔ cups (337g) All-Purpose Flour
- Lemon Filling Ingredients:
- ½ cup (4 ounces or 113g) Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 ⅔ cups (190g) Powdered Sugar, plus more for dusting
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Cut two pieces of parchment paper to fit your baking sheets. On one side of each parchment piece, draw 1 ½-inch circles approximately 1 inch apart. Flip the parchment so the circles are on the underside. Set aside.
- Prepare a large pastry bag with a large open decorator tip.
- In a small food processor, combine half of the granulated sugar with the finely grated zest of two lemons. Process until the sugar takes on a light yellow hue and the zest is well integrated.
- In a sizable mixing bowl, mix together the cream cheese, softened butter, lemon-infused sugar, the remaining granulated sugar, egg yolk, lemon juice, salt, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium-high speed until the mixture becomes fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl periodically and continue mixing.
- Add the flour in three separate additions, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
Piping the Cookies:
- Transfer half of the cookie dough into the prepared pastry bag. The dough should be very soft for optimal piping. If necessary, warm the dough by placing the pastry bag in a warm location or by holding it with hands rinsed in warm water.
- Pipe generous 1 ½-inch rounds onto the parchment paper, using the pre-drawn circles as a guide. Ensure the cookies are uniform in size for consistent baking and assembly.